A while back I did the post: Make Mozzarella From Milk In Just 30 Minutes which was extremely popular! Given that so many of you liked the idea of making cheese out of milk, I am assuming that you will also like to know how to make totally delicious butter!
This one I’ve got, as making butter from milk is easy! It’s even easier to make butter from cream, but I have said how to make butter from milk, so let’s stick with that for now.
How To Make Butter From Milk
- First things first – pour one gallon of fresh full-cream milk into a container with which has a mouth wide enough for you to be able to skim the cream from the top of the milk when it forms.
- Now put your container of milk into the refrigerator for 12 hours or so, overnight will do.
- Next, carefully skim off the cream that has formed on the top of the milk. Once you get down through the main cream and it starts to get thinner and more milk-like, stop!
- Now leave your cream (covered) out on the side, until the temperature is approximately 75 degrees and it starts to smell a bit off…
- Add the cream to a large jar, making sure not to fill it more than 40% full. Put the lid on tightly and shake vigorously for between 10-30 minutes, depending on how vigorous you are! Once you start to notice a distinct separation, with the beginning of the butter clumping together within the buttermilk, slow the shaking right down, but keep going; within a minute or two, your butter should start to turn yellow.
- Now strain the butter from the buttermilk through a colander (save the buttermilk for pancakes!) and rinse under the tap. Shake off as much water as possible and add the butter solids to a bowl and mix them together to form one large mass, if there is still excess water in the bowl, pour this out.
- Now it’s simply up to you to add some salt to your butter (to your taste), mix it all together, put the butter to a container with a lid, refrigerate and enjoy!
There you go – you’ve turned milk into butter! As said, it is much quicker if you are already starting off with cream, but now you can pretty much make butter from either cream or milk.
Below is a great video tutorial on how to make butter from milk from — Food Farmer Earth.