Despite being relatively harmless from a medical point of view, skin tags can have a significant impact on a person’s self esteem and general happiness. Let’s face it, we all have body hangs ups that can get us down from time to time, right?
The good news is that there are a host of natural remedies that can be used to remove skin tags in the comfort of your own home. Obviously, if your skin tag is close to your eyes or other sensitive areas of your body, you should always seek help from a professional who will be able to remove it safely for you.
Before we move on to how to remove skin tags, let’s find out what skin tags are…
What is a skin tag?
A skin tag is a type of benign skin growth. In non-technical terms, they are basically soft skin growths that look like a small piece of skin, which can often be found hanging from your body. Although some are barely noticeable, others can occur in sensitive areas such as on the eyelids, groin folds, armpits and under the breasts.
And there’s no limit to how many skin tags can appear on your body at any one time. In fact, it’s possible for an individual to have up to 100 skin tags present on their skin in a lifetime, so you can see how they can become an annoyance!
There isn’t one trigger associated with skin tags, although obese adults are more prone as experts have regularly identified a corresponding link between the two. This said, it’s predicted that each and every one of us will develop a skin tag at some point in our lives.
Luckily, there are a host of skin tag removal treatments available, many of which you can do yourself, at home. We’ve compiled a list of helpful skin tag remover treatments and remedies that should help you to remove your skin tags.
Before you begin – you need to be certain that all you have is a benign skin tag, do not proceed if you are not certain. If in doubt swing by your doctors and get confirmation.
How to remove skin tags at home?
Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is commonly used to treat and prevent a host of skin problems, including blemishes, spots and skin tags. Oh, and it’s most likely that you will find a bottle nestled deep in the bottom of your bathroom cupboard!
It’s also known as the most painless way to remove skin tags from your body. This is because the oil contains a wealth of anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties that actively join forces to dry out your skin, causing your skin tag to fall off on its own. Find out how to remove skin tags with tea tree oil below.
- Start by taking a clean cotton ball and soak it in warm or cold water.
- Now, add three drops of tea tree oil onto the cotton ball.
- Before you apply the oil, make sure that you clean your skin tag thoroughly in order to remove any access dirt or oil (your skin tag must also be clean to achieve the most effective results!).
- Now take your cotton ball and gently massage the skin tag, as well as the surrounding area, being careful not to apply too much pressure.
- The results are not instant but, in time, the skin tag will fall off of its own accord. For the best results, repeat this process up to 3 times a day.
Finally, don’t be tempted to apply tea tree oil onto your skin without diluting it first, as doing this can result in skin irritation.
Lemon juice is not only super tasty and good for you, it’s also a powerful antiseptic, making it perfect for removing skin tags from the body.
This is because it also contains citric acids, which actively seek to dry out skin tags by decomposing their cells – who knew?
- Simply cut a fresh lemon in half and carefully apply its juice to a cotton ball.
- Now, apply this directly to the skin tag and surrounding areas.
- For best results, do not wash it off.
- Integrate this into your daily routine and you should start to see results in no time at all (obviously, as with all of these home remedies, results are not always instant, so keep repeating the process up to three times a day.)
Yes, dandelions are much more than those never-ending, annoying weeds that populate your back yard!
In fact, dandelion stem juice is used around the world to help with a host of skin issues including the removal of skin tags! And it’s so easy to start making the most of this effective remedy at home.
- First of all, you will need to get your hands dirty and collect a handful of dandelions from your back yard, ensuring that they are still attached to their stems.
- This is important as the stem is where you will need to extract the juice from and is integral to the process.
- Simply squeeze the stems tightly and this should remove all of the juice you need.
- You will see that a milky liquid will come out of the stem, this is the liquid that you will then apply to your skin.
- Now you need to cover your skin tag and the surrounding area with the liquid.
- Once you have done this, take a band-aid and cover it to ensure that it remains in place.
The dandelion stem juice works by drying out your skin tag, causing it to eventually fall off. This is a proven method that has worked on thousands of people around the world however, it’s not suitable for everyone. If you are allergic to marigolds, daisies, ragweed or other similar plants, you will also most definitely be allergic to dandelions so avoid this natural remedy!
Applying oregano oil is another great way of removing your skin tag at home, quickly and painlessly. Using Oregano Oil regularly can result in the removal of your skin tag in as little as 4 weeks and, providing you apply the oil to your skin tag up to three times a day, it will eventually drop off of its own accord.
This is because the oil contains three types of phenolic terpenoids components (thymol, arvacrol and p-cymene). All three of these components contain powerful antibacterial properties that actively work together to remove the skin tag.
Alongside these powerful components and properties, oregano oil also contains antispasmodic, antimelanomic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties and anti-oxidatives.
- Start by creating a mixture of 4 to 6 drops of coconut oil and 2 to 3 drops of oregano oil.
- Next, apply this formula to your skin tag and the surrounding areas up to 3 times a day to achieve the most effective and long lasting results.
- The system will eventually dry out your skin tag and cause it to drop off your skin.
If you have a skin tag near to your eyes this is not a remedy you should use as it can causes redness or skin irritation. It is also important to always dilute oregano oil with another oil.
Despite being deliciously stinky, garlic is also great for removing skin tags (if you can stand the smell of course!).
This is because fresh garlic contains a whole host of anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that work together to help improve a variety of skin issues. Fresh garlic works by drying out your skin tag, causing it to eventually drop off. And, it’s easy to use.
All you need is three or four fresh garlic cloves that should be ground into a paste. Then simply apply the paste directly to your skin and place a band-aid over it to keep it secure.
Fig Stem Juice
Fig stem juice is well known for it’s connection to assisting with a whole host of skin related issuing, including the removal of skin tags, due to its ability to help balance the alkaline-acid balance.
- Simply pick up some fresh fig stems and blend them together in order to extract the juice.
- Once the juice has been blended together, apply it to the affected areas up to four times a day.
- The majority of people notice a difference within four weeks however, results indicate that cases vary from person to person, so don’t be disheartened if you do not see the results you want within this period of time!
Apple Cider Vinegar
How to remove skin tags with ACV – despite the intensity of its smell often putting many people off, this remedy is renowned for removing the skin tag completely. It’s also another home remedy that most of us will find lurking in the bottom of our store cupboard!
Apple cider vinegar is both highly effective and responsive to the removal of skin tags but, before you use this skin tag solution, it’s important to note that apple cider vinegar can sometimes cause very mild itching or stinging. This is nothing to worry about though, and kind of shows that it is doing its job!
It’s worthwhile diluting the vinegar with water before applying it to your skin tag – this will minimize any discomfort or stinging.
- First of all, before using apple cider vinegar, it’s important that you thoroughly cleanse and dry your skin in the area undergoing treatment.
- Now, soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and start to apply to the skin tag and the surrounding areas.
- For the best results, try to squeeze the cotton ball as you massage the vinegar into your skin, allowing the skin tag to absorb the vinegar completely.
- Again, with this skin tag remover solution, the results may not always be instant. Make sure that you apply the apple cider vinegar up to three times a day until the skin tag is completely gone.
We all know the effect it has on our eyes when we are cooking but did you know that it is also a proven method of helping to remove skin tags?
So, how to remove skin tags using onion juice?
- Well, simply cut an onion up into small segments and leave it in a vessel overnight, ensuring that the vessel also contains some salt.
- Make sure that you leave it for at least 7 hours, then extract the juice from the onion when you wake up.
- Now, simply apply the juice to the skin tag for at least 10 -12 days.
- This should then remove the skin tag completely!
Now this is a skin tag remover that almost all of us will have in our bathroom cupboard or beauty box. Nail polish works by drying out the skin tag, which then results in it dropping off completely.
- Like the majority of home removal solutions mentioned, this is not a one off skin tag remover solution. It’s important that you apply the nail polish up to three times a day until you the skin tag fades away.
How to remove skin tags with bananas! Bananas are not only super nutritious and healthy, their peels are also perfect for helping to remove skin tags from all parts of the body.
- Start by cutting off a small piece of banana peel.
- Next, place the inside part of the banana over your skin tag, ensuring that it is completely covered!
- Now cover it with gauze and keep it on overnight. If you repeat this on a daily basis, the skin tag should naturally fall off!
Using potato as a natural solution to remove skin tags is another tried and tested solution that has proven to be extremely successful. It’s super easy to do too, but best done at night when you are not out and about!
Simply take one piece of potato, place it over your skin, and secure it in place with a band aid. Continue to do this for a few days, and you should start to notice a difference.
With a host of natural ways to remove skin tags at home, hopefully you’ll find a solution that works for you.