Homemade Rat Poison That Works & Costs Pennies

POSTED: July 1st, 2013, LAST UPDATED: October 8th, 2015


From time to time, we have had problems with rats… We have a cat who is useless! Last year I watched as she was sitting 2 meters from our apple tree, a rat came out from the bushes, went over to the tree, climbed up a bit and started eating from a bird feeder. The cat just sat there watching it, and to be honest, the rat couldn’t have cared less.

Whilst considering how to deal with the rats I stumbled on a homemade rat poison recipe, that I tried with good results. Here’s the recipe –


  • Oatmeal
  • Sugar
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Water


  • Measure out equal amounts of oatmeal and plaster of Paris into a mixing bowl or bucket, add a handful of sugar and then add water to mix into a dough.
  • Once you have a basic dough, break off chunks and roll it into golfball sized balls.
  • Simply place these balls of DIY rat poison in locations where rats have been seen. As with conventional rat poison, don’t position the bait anywhere pets, children or other wildlife will come into contact with them.
  • Check each day and replace where they have been eaten. Keep replacing daily until they are no longer being eaten.

The homemade rat poison apparently works because once consumed, the plaster of Paris partially sets in the rat’s stomach and can’t be digested. It’s not a pleasant death, but none of the commercially available rat poisons provide a painless, quick death either. In fact most cause an agonising slow death.

You may be wondering why someone might try a homemade recipe, but the thing most people don’t realize about conventional rat poison is that rats have to keep eating it over several days for it to build up in their system enough to kill them. With this in mind, to effectively treat a rat infestation, you need a lot of poison (which gets very expensive) as you need to keep putting it down day after day until it is not getting eaten anymore…

The ingredients in this homemade rat poison recipe cost pennies, so it is very cheap to keep using until all the rats have been killed. Additionally commercial rat poison can be very dangerous to pets and children when it is stored unused. This DIY recipe is made and mixed as required. When it is stored, it is simply a bag of oatmeal, a bag of sugar and bag of plaster of Paris.

(Photo from:  Genista)